Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

Well, first off, I want to thank my readers for the comments left on my "Blogging for Babies" post. With your help, I will be donating $60 to March of Dimes. While I hope that 2010 does not bring the kind of tragedies that 2009 did, I think it would be fun to make "Blogging for Babies" an annual thing.

Now that I've looked back on 2009, it's time to look forward to a more positive 2010. I've set several New Year's Resolutions this year. I'm generally terrible about resolutions, but I think all of them are attainable this year if I set my mind to them. So this blog post will focus on my first resolution.

Resolution #1 - Get in better shape!
I'm not in terrible shape right now, but let's face it: having a baby changes your body and not all of those changes are for the better. I could stand to lose about 10 lbs, but really, I just want to be more physically fit. I'm hoping the exercise helps boost my mood and self-esteem mostly. Right now, I look in the mirror and I'm just not happy with what I see, and I worry what subsequent pregnancies would further do to my body. So I've started the Couch to 5k program. I've never been a runner, but I like the idea of getting outside and exercising, especially with Gabe. We have a jogging stroller and I'm hoping that taking Gabe jogging will prove to be more motivating than just exercising for myself. So far, I've only gone running once in my neighborhood. It wore me out - no doubt about it. After the first 60 second jogging interval, I contemplated whether to quit, to puke, or to just die right there on the sidewalk. I couldn't make up my mind so I just kept walking. The subsequent jogging intervals got easier as I went along and while I was never quite ready after the 90 second walking/resting interval, I managed to get through the 30 minute workout without the need for resuscitation in front of my neighbors. I haven't been out again, mostly because the weather has either been freezing or raining for most of the past week. But it's a gorgeous day out today, so I'm going to go out and run again this evening.

Stay tuned for other resolutions to be posted in the coming week.

No comments: